Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Medical Exam

This week we had our medical examination. I use the singular form of "examination" on purpose. Ryan and I literally had our doctor visits together! I don't think I've had someone else attend a medical exam with me for quite some time, perhaps almost 20 years. I'm sure my mom came with me to exams as a pre-teen and teenager, but that was almost 20 years ago now!

But, it all went just fine. In fact, like most parts of this adoption that I thought would be challenging, it wasn't anything to really worry about.

We went to Ryan's old family doctor. This doctor delivered Ryan's sister, and has been treating Ryan's family for 25 years or so. Ryan had good memories of him and the doctor treats all ages, so we figured he would be a good one to go to for these general physicals. And, so far so good.

At the visit we first saw the nurse. She took all our vitals and got our files in order. Then the doctor came in and spent about 30 minutes chatting with us and doing a solid basic examination. The best part was that we didn't have to do any bloodwork! We already had all the necessary tests taken at another doctor not too long ago, and this doctor was happy to use those results. Ryan lucked out there - he was dreading the needle!

Basically, we need to give the doctor a week or so to complete the forms, then I will follow up and see if there is anything else we need to do. Barring that, we should be able to get the forms and check that one off the list.

So, it is all going well. I'm still not ready to seriously believe I will be a mom though. It still feels like we are just applying for something...like a mortgage, or a general background check like for the bar exam. I've pretty much told myself I can start feeling things when our dossier is sent in. And again, I picture that being August. I did get a super "mother-to-be" card from Ryan's Grandmother on Mother's Day. That was the sweetest thing, and it is the closest I've come to realizing this might really happen.

No comments: